Wednesday 30 July 2014

My Route to Dentistry


My professional background had been in technical IT sales. It paid very, very well and I was good at it, however, in order to be as successful as I was, I found myself giving up evenings and weekends and devoting too much of my time and attention to my job, neglecting, amongst other things, my girlfriend. So I decided to retrain and go down another path in hope of a better work/life balance.


I wanted to do something that was academic, as I had been a bright lad that went to grammar school but had underachieved when it mattered, something that was going to lead directly to a profession, something that rarely presented a need to 'take work home with you'. and something that would allow me to resume a similar lifestyle financially once I had qualified. Dentistry quickly presented itself as the ideal route to take.

When I first started out on this road I found it really difficult to find and contact people who were either attempting to do something similar or who had managed it and were now studying at uni.

It kinda suited me, as there was little evidence to suggest it couldn't be done and I could just focus on the information I could get, which tended to be from the universities themselves and was mostly entry requirements. If I could hit them, I had as good a chance as anybody.

One of the first decisions I had to make was whether I wanted to do an Access the HE diploma or A levels.

There are pros and cons to both, which I will outline in another post at some point, but I opted to go down the Access route. The main reason being that with the 24+ loan and the fact it only takes a year, it provided a cheaper, shorter way to get to uni. However, I was very restricted in terms of what universities I could apply to as the Access Diploma is far less versatile than A Levels.

 
If you do decide to go the access route it is also important to make sure you are doing the right course for the universities you wish to apply to. I learned this lesson the hard way. With the combination of my very modest GCSE's and the Access to Science course (as opposed to access to medicine or dentistry) that I chose to do, I was limited to only 2 universities to put a sensible application to.

Most Dental and Medical schools require that you take an entrance exam before applying. Most of the ones that do want you to take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test, usually abbreviated to UKCAT. Again, this is something that I will cover in more detail in a separate post at a later date. The average score for UKCAT is meant to be around 600, however the year I took the test, 2013, the average was 660. I managed to score 728, which was a strong score and put me in the top 20% of test takers that year. More UKCAT stats from 2013 can be found here. Getting such a strong score was really important as it meant I was much more likely to secure interviews. Do not obsess over the UKCAT, you are much better off enjoying your summer then committing 2-3 hours a day for 2-3 weeks before your exam preparing. Any more than that is overkill and counter productive.

 
 
Once I had taken the UKCAT the next step for me was to enrol at college. Anybody reading this who has plans to get onto a Dentistry or a Medicine course via an access to science course BRACE YOURSELVES because this is the point that multiple people who know nothing about you or what you are capable of will try and tell you that you will not achieve your goal, and try to convince you that you should aim for something more achievable like radiography, haha. Ignore them. Don't allow anybody to limit what you are capable of. If you are anything like me it will just make you more determined to get there, and also make sure you hunt these people down first to tell them when you get interviews, offers and then finally when you have managed to meet the conditions of your offer.
 
The next thing I had to do was write a kick ass personal statement! I think I succeeded here and I was really pleased with how the final draft turned out. This is an area where it pays to work with career advisors you have available to you as they have an idea about what admissions like to see. Also, this video is a great place to start.


 
 
 
On the strength of my UKCAT score and personal statement I was able to secure interviews at both the Universities I applied to, Manchester and Newcastle. If you have interviews, well done! You have survived the most competitive part of the process. Enjoy it for a moment but do not make the mistake I did and think the hard work is done, it isn't. I went into my interview at Manchester far too confident, why not? I had plenty of experience in interviews, being both an interviewer and an interviewee and I had done my research. what could go wrong? I let myself down because the momentousness of the occasion made me nervous, and because I wasn't prepared enough the nerves affected my performance. I was lucky enough to have a second interview (although I didn't know this at the time of my Manchester interview) and I prepared properly for that one and bagged myself a place at Newcastle!
 
I got my results a few weeks ago and was delighted to see my offer go from conditional to unconditional on UCAS and I am looking forward to starting the course!
 
I hope that was in some way helpful to somebody out there. If you have managed to real through all of this and have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments below.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I have stumbled across your blog and have read with interest as I am 31 and teetering on the edge to giving my job up for the Access course for dentistry. I have 2 Alevels (English and History) and a Business Diploma but no science. Newcastle Uni have said that I would need the full science which would take a year..then another 5 (if I got in as it has been stressed numerous times that it is very competitive!) What is the ratio of mature students on your course? Is it feasible to get a job as a dentist at 40?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about being employable at 40, I'm sure you will bring plenty of skills with you at that age that are desirable compared with a 23 year old graduate how has come out of education without ever having worked. It is competitive, they are only 3 mature students in my year although there were around 60 applicants. 78 students in the whole year group. The access course is great if you are fully committed, it is hard work though and the whole process is tough as you have to maintain the highest of standards for the whole year and unless you have savings you will have to work every spare hour to make up for the lack of a salary. If its what you want to do though, go for it!

      Delete
    2. By you did well then..well done! I have 2 children and work 3 days so cannot do the access full time (unfortunately!) so it will be over two years and two evenings. I don't underestimate how hard it will be but don't have a clue either if that makes sense?! Thank you for your blog and I look forward to reading your journey!

      Delete
    3. Be careful with that. Some universities require you do the access course over 1 year not 2. I would call everywhere you are thinking of applying to and make sure that they are okay with that. It's these little things you have to be weary of before starting out because they don't list things like that on the website.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete